Thursday, July 14, 2011

Nebraska Squared

The inaugural show of the Midwest Fiber Art Alliance has begun at the Jewish Community Center Gallery in Omaha, NE.  The exhibit will hang until August 4th.  I have three pieces in this, my first, show.  There are a total of nine artists exhibiting work in the show.  We hope to make this show an annual event in the Midwest.  

This year our theme is about Nebraska shown in a squared format.  1' x 1', 2' x 2' and 3' x 3'.  Each of the artist's works centers on this theme.
Foundling

Weeds?
Here It Comes
My work was done beginning with fabric that was "snow dyed".  Snow dyeing is a process where dye concentrates are added to cloth over 6" of snow.  The fabrics were treated with a mordant that allows the 
slow melting of the snow to form "crystal" patterns on the cloth.  After reviewing photographs in black and white of the resulting patterns, I use a technique from the children's game of finding cloud animals.  I visualize scenes and sketch them on the cloth with a sewing machine.  Pastels are used to enhance and shade the completed scene.  

This series was a real change from what I have done previously.  Surface design techinques are my first love and I rarely use commercial fabrics in my work.  I hope that the work is as well received by the viewers at the show as it was by the groups attending the artist's reception last weekend.  I know I had  so much fun explaining my work.  Perhaps some workshops will come out of the show.



No comments:

Post a Comment