Thursday, February 10, 2011

think thursday

Thoughts become things!!!

Okay, this is easy isn't it.  If we think good things...good things will happen.  I suppose the converse is also true.  If we "think" good art or design, will the product be good?  I'm not sure but I hope this is true.

I have studied art history, design, textiles, color theory...all good things for an artist.  Now I must stop thinking about art and actually MAKE art.  We will see if it's good, later.

Fear of making bad art seems to get in the way of just making art.  I have stacks of almosts,   maybe if I..'s, 
and otherwise questionable pieces.  They scare the bejesus out of me.  Will it all be that bad???
When I get the right thing going will I know.  Most of the good pieces that I have made are gone...sold, given away or "waiting" to be seen by this show or that show.  I can't seem to get them all together in one
place to see what makes them mine.

A post on QuiltArt today from a "real" artist reminded us "wanna be's" to look deeper into what works and what doesn't and then do more of what works.  Seems simple; good advice often is.

2 comments:

  1. You are a "real" artist! You always have good/creative ideas-- not just for art, but for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    Thank you so very much for your recent comment on my blog. Reading words of support are very important to me. We all need a few affirmations along the way! Thank you for providing some!

    I love the blog post to which I'm leaving this comment. I know your feelings. I've been there. I frequently return there too! Worrying about "bad art" and labeling oneself as a "wannabe" are feelings with which I can identify.

    BAD ART is important. It informs BETTER ART. The solution is always.....WORK, WORK, WORK. It is the process of "making" that becomes primary; the results become secondary.

    I do have one real piece of advice: Julia Cameron's "The Artist's Way". Don't read it....LIVE IT. It changed my life....and allowed me to blossom into the artist I probably was but denied for decades.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete